Monday, May 24, 2010

Help on College?

I am planning to go to UNR i have a 4.0 now and I am in the 10 grade. I want to become a full time Software Engineer. I am very very good at math. I never got Less that a A in math in my whole life. I am taking formal geometry right know and will take caculus next or the following year. I know medium Flash action script (like javascript). I am going to learn HTML next year. Right know I am learning C++. UNR has a 3 credit course on this "CS 425/625 SOFTWARE ENGINEERING


Lecture+Lab: 3+0


Credit(s): 3


Requirements specifications, structured analysis, modeling, top down design, testability, maintainability, portability, verification and validation, modification, configuration, management, reliability, efficiency, complexity, compatibility, modularity, interfacing, hardware and language issues." What classes I have to take with that computer class. I am willing to take any math class for Software enginner.Do I have take english, history or any other class.wat classes.

Help on College?
Almost any 4 year college or university will require you to take a core curriculum that includes science, foreign language, history, English, and a number of elective courses. These courses are required of everyone pursuing a BA, BS etc. However depending on your major and the college that you are in at your particular institution the requirements may be different. Plan on at the bare minimum having to take at least 2 semesters of English/Composition, Social Sciences etc. You may be able to take courses closely connected to your major or mathematics with your elective hours, but you will definitely have to complete the other core requirements to graduate.
Reply:You certainly sound like you're going to be unusually well-prepared. However, as for that course, did you notice at the bottom of the page describing it, for prerequisites it lists "Senior standing"? In other words, this class is for college seniors. There's years of CS courses that are required, too.





As for all the other courses you have to take: Yes, check out the web page I cite below. It lists a lot of other things, English, history, liberal arts, all of that stuff. However, those are requirements only if you wish to get a degree (which I highly recommend). If all you want to do is take the CS and Math stuff, then I'm sure UNR is like every other university and will let you take stuff as a "townie", that is, take courses just because you're interested in the topic. You'd still have to convince the teacher that you're qualified. And usually any credits you earn in this way will not be allowed to apply towards a degree requirements if you later change your mind about getting one.





I'd advise you to get a good education. Who knows how things will be a decade from now. A lot of programming jobs are, and will continue, disappearing to India, Russia, and elsewhere. If that's all you know how to do, you may be really screwed in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment